My story...

Travis and I have been married since 1996. We have 4 beautiful children: Madelyn (1998), Jacob (2001), Bryson (2004), and Allyson (2007). I love being a mom and wouldn't change a thing (most of the time!).

Thursday, January 29, 2009

New Beginnings

Last night was my first big activity since being called to Young Women's. We were doing it around the theme "What Heaven Sees in You" along with the "Parable of the Princesses" by Jenny Phillips. I was asked to come up w/ a dessert that went along w/ the princess theme. Well, I'm not that creative and google didn't help me much this time. I did find a picture of a cake that was princess themed w/o looking too childish. Since my mom does excellent cakes and could offer her advice and answer numerous questions, I thought I'd go ahead and try the cake. I also made cupcakes in the value colors and made some white chocolate mints with San Diego temple molds I had from my wedding. Here is how everything turned out.
I would have probably turned the cake so that the ruffled edge looked more straight, but there was a spot of frosting that cracked and slid down on the drive over that I had to fix in the back. It patched up OK, but not as smooth as the rest, so it stayed in the back.
Here is a close up of the mints. I think you can see the temples if you click on the picture to enlarge it.

A couple of the other leaders were in charge of decorations and did a FABULOUS job! They borrowed Maddy's baptism and blessing dresses and Ally's blessing dress for this display. My blessing dresses are the back two. Didn't it turn out so cute?! This display went along with the song that all the leaders sang, "What Heaven Sees in You". It makes me cry almost every time I sing it, so it was hard to sing it front of everyone. Especially since when I looked out, many of the girls and moms were crying too! Fortunately a couple of the leaders have excellent voices and could carry those of us who don't sing as well and were getting choked up. Click here if you'd like to hear the song. It's really touching.
The leaders in charge of decorations took "dress up" type pictures of all the girls. They edited them to be black and white w/ just the pink flower in color. They turned out sooooooo cute and really showed the girls fun personalities.
Here is a picture of my Mia Maids starting to act out their part of the Parable of the Princess story. I didn't get any shots further on because my batteries were low and wouldn't do more w/ the low lighting. The Mia Maids are the biggest group of girls - 12 girls!
It was such a great night. We had 24 out of 27 young women there. I haven't been in Young Women's very long, but it's amazing how quickly you fall in love with the girls. As they were all standing in front singing "Daughter of a King" I got all choked up and couldn't believe how much I loved each of them already. They really are such a special group of girls and I'm so lucky to get to work with them!


Maddy helped me with the cake by lending me one of her tiaras. Here are my 2 sweet princesses playing with her other tiaras before I left. They are pretty special too - Daughters of a King! I love them more than words could ever say!

4 comments:

Mikelle said...

Dena that looks great!! I am terrified of ever being in YW!! And I had to laugh because whoever's wedding dress that was, mine looked almost just like it!! Anyways, great job!

Amber said...

You did it! The cake looked great! I, too, am afraid of having to be in charge of such a night!! Very cool, though.

Winnie said...

You did a great job on the cake. I might have to ask you to make or at least teach me how to make Daniel's birthday cake.

Tara H. said...

Everything was great that night, especially the refreshments :) That cake was the best I have tasted in a long time! You did so awesome and thank you, thank you so much!!
xoxox