My story...

Travis and I have been married since 1996. We have 4 beautiful children: Madelyn (1998), Jacob (2001), Bryson (2004), and Allyson (2007). I love being a mom and wouldn't change a thing (most of the time!).

Tuesday, September 16, 2008

I really want to ... but I'm scared!

Maddy has wanted to get her ears pierced for as long as I can remember. She went with her best friend a couple of years ago for moral support when her friend got her ears pierced. She thought her friend was silly for freaking out after the first ear was done. Maddy was sooooo excited to get the earrings for her birthday, but when I said, we've got an hour free right now, do you want to run over and get your ears pierced before dad has to leave? She kind of freaked out. She really wanted to get them done, but she was scared at the same time. She really wanted some numbing stuff put on her ears first and wanted to have them both done at the same time. She kind of cried off and on all the way there. When we got there, we found out that they did not have numbing stuff and there was only one person there today who pierced ears, so she couldn't have them done at the same time. She cried again. Travis needed to leave soon, so I couldn't just stay at the store all day. She had to make up her mind. She finally gathered up the courage to sit in the chair.

Here she is in the preparation stages. Her eyes are red rimmed from all the worrying.
Squeezing my hand for courage.
Terrified of the pain that was sure to come.
Extremely relieved that it really didn't hurt that bad at all. "Just a little more than a shot", she said.
An up close look at her Sapphire birthstone earrings.
When she was writing thank you notes to her friends, she wrote us one thanking us sooooooo much for the earrings and for letting her pierce her ears saying, "I love my earrings and my ears!!!" She's so happy to have them pierced and I'm glad that she didn't drag it out forever worrying about it only to find out that the worrying was the worst part.

3 comments:

Brooke said...

Way to be brave Maddy! Your new earrings look beautiful.

Carolee said...

Dena your daughter is beautiful, in fact all of your kids are so adorable!!

I have pictures of Brooklyn getting her ears pierced too. The look of worry is too funny and then the picture of relief is priceless:)

Tara H. said...

You are so awesome to document the process. I wish I had pictures from when I had mine pierced, they probably look about the same.
Maddy, you were very brave, and I can't wait to see your earings in person on Sunday!
I also tagged you on my blog, so check out my blog if you want play tag. :)