My story...

Travis and I have been married since 1996. We have 4 beautiful children: Madelyn (1998), Jacob (2001), Bryson (2004), and Allyson (2007). I love being a mom and wouldn't change a thing (most of the time!).

Monday, March 3, 2008

New family room!

While my mom was here, we were busy redecorating our family room.

Travis and I have really struggled trying to figure out how to cover the 3 windows in our family room because we couldn't find a rod long enough to go across the whole length and they are so close together that we couldn't really do 3 separate rods either. Travis built this box for me. It is 10 ft. 6 inches long and has the southwest edging to match our entertainment center. It was a no sew project, just some batting, fabric, glue and a staple gun. Well I guess there was a little sewing; my mom sewed 3 pieces of fabric together to make one long piece. (I forgot since I didn't do the sewing. Thanks mom!) It was tricky covering all the little corners, because the big piece of fabric only covers the top and bottoms of the box. We had to cut out little pieces of fabric that matched up with the stripes to cover the sides of all the little notches. It took longer than a regular straight box would have, but I really like that it is a little different.
We're still looking for a new lamp to go on the end table. We can't do a whole lot with the end table right now because it is Ally's favorite place to be. She knows she can reach anything on that table and she does!
My mom sewed these curtains for me. They are on the doors that go into our den. The color didn't show up that well in the picture, maybe because it's night. They are the teal color in the stripes on the window box, but they are sheer. If you notice all the mess behind them, you'll know why we choose these kind of curtains. You can take the tie back off when you want to block off the whole room. Some day I'll be so together and organized that the den will always be clean, but for right now, that's where a lot of things just get put until I have time to deal with them.
I'm still looking for somethings to finish off the entertainment center too. We found some candle sticks to go on the top left of the entertainment center, but they just didn't go, so I'm still looking for some that work better. I also just stuck a couple of pictures on the right until I can find a bowl to put some decorative balls in. I'm also looking for a darker picture frame, possibly with gold trim like the frame on the left, for our wedding picture (which we will lower when we find the frame).
Even though it is still a work in progress, I'm really pleased with how it is turning out. It was so fun to just go shopping with my mom and bounce ideas off her and get her opinions. It would have taken me forever to get the window treatments done without her!

6 comments:

Brooke said...

Oooooh, I like it! You did a great job and I'm very impressed with the window coverings. I love the teal and brown colors. Looks great!

Mom and Dad said...

Good job! I also love the teal and brown. I love the tall pot in the corner by the entertainment center and the wall candle holders.

Kristen said...

Dena, it looks so good!
I LOVE brwon and teal, I'm especially into brown right now.
I LOVE, LOVE the curtains! Great job on the fabric. My Mom and I are planning a trip to LA, there's a fabric store that sells cheap fabric, she is going to make me some curtains for my front room. Can't wait!
I love all the knick knacks you bought for the entertainment center. Looks really good..I'm impressed!!

Carolee said...

Everything looks so good!! I cant wait to have a house to be able to start decorating...count down 3 more months to go:)

Melissa said...

Everything looks so good. I love the colors you used. I'm so bad with making decisions regarding decorating.

Mikelle said...

I love it!! We have the same colors in our bedroom and they are pretty much my favorite!! How fun to have your mom help!