My story...

Travis and I have been married since 1996. We have 4 beautiful children: Madelyn (1998), Jacob (2001), Bryson (2004), and Allyson (2007). I love being a mom and wouldn't change a thing (most of the time!).

Thursday, March 13, 2008

Sick Days

It's been a while since I posted because we have had a house full of sick-os. Me included.

Travis started us off 2 Sundays ago with a bad flu. He had a fever of about 104 for 4 days straight. He was either burning up (literally - you could hardly touch him!) or so freezing that he would actually be chattering. It pretty much knocked him out for 4 days, which doesn't usually happen. I don't think I've ever seen him so sick that he's just spent 4 days in bed or on the couch. Usually he just works from home on the computer when he's sick, but this time he actually took 3 sick days and then did a work from home day.

Bryson, Ally and I came down with it mid week. What I want to know is, when do I get to take a sick day, a REAL sick day? Fortunately I wasn't quite as sick as Travis was, and good thing because as you all know, the mom just doesn't get to take a REAL sick day.

Here's an example of my "sick day":
6:45 - " wake up" at regular time because the kids still need to get to school - I don't know if you can call it waking up if you were awake most of the night holding a baby in the recliner only nodding off every once in a while and spent very little time actually sleeping in bed.
7:00-8:30 - make breakfasts, read scriptures, keep prodding the kids along to get ready, make lunches, sign papers, hurry kids along, fix hair, etc. and finally get kids off to the bus stop.
8:30 - nurse Ally and make sure she's had her morning dose of Motrin. Give Bryson his medicine too. (Ally was down to 3 feedings, but is now eating every couple of hours around the clock for comfort and to make sure she's getting fluids and nutrients since she's not each much.)
9:00 - Open a new box of Kleenex (to be used up entirely throughout the day!), eat breakfast myself and then clean up all the breakfast and school lunch mess. Put a movie on to keep Bryson entertained.
9:30 - Crash in the recliner holding Ally
10:00 - Ally takes a nap just long enough for me to almost get a whole hot shower
10:30 - start a batch of laundry and then crash in the recliner again to nurse Ally. Find something else for Bryson to watch on TV.
12:00 - Fix lunch for Bryson and myself and try to find something that Ally will actually eat (to no avail)
12:30 - Clean up lunch and give Ally some Tylenol this time.
1:00 - Crash in the recliner again holding Ally and find a movie for Bryson to watch. Realize I'm burning up and take some Advil.
2:30 - Give Ally and Bryson Motrin again. Nurse Ally to try to put her to sleep.
3:00 - Put Ally down for a nap. Remember the laundry and switch the clothes over to dry. Put a new show on for Bryson and lay down until the kids come home.
3:45 - kids come home - let them get their own snacks and then we start on homework. Send Bryson to play on the computer so he leaves the kids alone.
4:00 - Ally coughs and wakes herself up.
4:20 - Have Maddy round up her piano books for her lesson at 4:30. Drive to Piano lessons.
4:35 - Finish up homework with Jacob.
4:55 - Leave to pick up Maddy from piano
5:10 - Start dinner (luckily we have leftovers!) Get Maddy going on her homework again.
5:30 - Eat dinner
6:00 - Clean up dinner. Travis does the dishes. Get Maddy going on homework again. Give Ally Tylenol. Nurse Ally again.
6:30 - Send Jacob up to take a bath, then Bryson, and finally Maddy.
7:00 - As kids finish baths let them get a bedtime snack (if they ate their dinner)
7:30 - Bathe Ally and get her ready for bed.
7:45 - Give Bryson his cough medicine and Motrin. Send kids up to brush teeth and get ready for bed.
8:00 - Travis says prayers with kids. I refill humidifier tanks and swap out the vapor plug in the boys nightlight.
8:30 - Give Ally Motrin and nurse her to "sleep"
9:00 - Remember the clothes in the dryer and take them out to fold tomorrow (too tired now - just want to sleep)
9:15 - Ally wakes up coughing and crying, only to do this off and on all night long. Alternating Motrin and Tylenol as well as periodic nursing will also continue all night long.
Then my day starts all over the next day at 6:45.

I think I need a vacation day to recover from my sick day ... but wait, vacation days are even more work than sick days!!!

Fortunately I think we are all better now. I probably shouldn't have said that because every time I do, someone gets sick again. I guess with next week being spring break, at least no one would miss school. I have been busy sanitizing the whole house, opening all the doors and windows everyday (fortunately the weather is cooperating!), and am pumping the kids full of orange juice each morning and making them wash their hands all the time. I think we've had every kind of cold or flu that is going around here, so we should be immune at this point ... at least I hope so! I'm hoping for a fun spring break with no illness! I guess only time will tell.

I hope everyone reading this is healthy and stays that way!

3 comments:

Kristen said...

Oh my gosh Dena! I feel for you. Really, when Mom is sick life still goes on. It can be so hard! I'm amazed at all you still accomplished, your amazing.

Hope everyone stays healthy!

Mom and Dad said...

Sorry to hear you've all been sick. But glad that you're better. You are so right about no sick days for Moms. Hang in there! Spring is just around the corner! Love you all.

Jayne said...

life is miserable when the mom is sick,
wish I was there closer to help you out.

hang in there