My story...

Travis and I have been married since 1996. We have 4 beautiful children: Madelyn (1998), Jacob (2001), Bryson (2004), and Allyson (2007). I love being a mom and wouldn't change a thing (most of the time!).

Tuesday, February 24, 2009

Relaxing Sunday?

This Sunday was supposed to be nice and relaxing. We had Stake Conference, so I didn't need to teach and Travis didn't have any meetings. Well, while I was cooking dinner, I started hearing a crackly noise in the other room. I thought Ally had something w/ a crinkly wrapper and my hands were dirty, so while I finished what I was doing, I listened carefully to make sure the crackling didn't stop (meaning she would have gotten whatever it was open.). It was only like a min. or two, but when I went to go find Ally, this is what I saw instead!!!
Yep, that's water dripping out of the vent in the laundry room! I yelled up to Travis that the ceiling was leaking. He ran into the bathroom and found inches of water on the floor and the carpet outside of the bathroom soaked. He ran for a pile of towels to start soaking it up.
So what happened you might ask. Well, we had forgotten about baths on Sat. since we went to the adult session of Conference, so we had the kids take baths Sun. afternoon. Ever since Bryson had a bath in our big tub, he keeps wanting to fill their regular tub up high. We have told him before NOT to fill it up high, but he did anyway. So not only did he fill up the tub to the VERY TOP, he proceeded to splash around and "swim" in the tub, thus spill out water EVERYWHERE.

So, instead of having a relaxing evening, we spent it soaking up water, emptying buckets of water that had poured out of the ceiling, poking holes in the ceiling w/ a nail to make sure there wasn't water pooling up somewhere, doing several loads of towel and rug laundry, blowing fans on the carpet, and sending Bryson to bed EARLY.

The only reason I even thought to take pictures was because Travis' sister's 2 yr. old plugged up their bathroom sink and flooded their bathroom a few days ago. She said she had been too mad to take pictures. Well, I was pretty mad and wouldn't have thought to take any pictures either if I hadn't just read about her story. At least her mess was from a 2 year old, not a 5 yr. old who had already been told not to do what he was doing!

2 comments:

Megan Allen said...

hahaha gotta love him! sounds crazy though!

Tara H. said...

Oh Dena, I am so sorry!! Water all over is no fun at all!
Hopefully everything has dried up and you haven't found any water damage surprises.
The greatest thing ever invented is in a japanese bathroom. The shower and the tub are in one giant, tiled, drain on the floor room. You could splash all through the day and night, and it wouldn't matter.
We really need to get one of those here. :)
xoxoxo